Thursday, May 14, 2015

10 days of news

I am always generally aware of current event going on in the world, but I never go to seek out this knowledge. I get most of my news from websites like twitter, even though I wouldn't say that’s a very reliable source, It may have a lot of rumors and may not be completely true, the baseline of the news is usually correct. There a never stories that trend that are totally false. Twitter is a good source to look at because it tells a story in the phrase or hashtag that is trending, and then if you’re interested you can look it up online to see a real news source.


Other than social media, I get news from the Today Show at school. I currently have American Experience, so we watch current event in the mornings. This is a good source to watch because it has full stories that are very reliable. They are also video’s which is good because sometimes America is lazy.


I looked at a very different source than I usually do for my ‘10 days of news’. I looked at the site Aljazeera, which I enjoyed in a weird way. It didn’t give me much major news, like I didn’t know a single question on the news quiz from my source. I don’t think that’s quite what the sites supposed to be about though. There is a lot of news that is just as important but doesn’t get covered by any other news sources. The cover small town news things, and things that are really affecting small places. There is also a lot of news about different countries that is a very big deal but we just don’t talk about much. It was a different side of news that I liked.


We, as citizens and as people, are very vulnerable. We look to major news sources to tell us things because we have no way of understanding situations without them. We are like small children looking to their parents for answers. That makes it the parent’s job to decide what to tell and how to tell it. They have a responsibility to only tell us what we should know, and sometimes keep us oblivious to things that may hurt us. We have no control over that, unless we want to listen to someone else.


There are bad things on the news all the time, and often times we are better off not knowing them. They can make you sad or even angry, but isn’t that what news is all about? Making you feel something? You are supposed to feel something.


When the Boston Bombing happened it was all over the news. People were upset even though it had would have had no effect on them without the news. It did not directly affect me or anyone in my life, but I still felt sad and felt bad about it. That way the people who were directly affected by it, weren’t feeling bad alone. I think that is the true purpose of news. To share something. Whether that be happiness, sadness, knowledge, laughter or grief.  


No comments:

Post a Comment